My name is Nikita Khetarpal and I am the 2016-2017 Main Campus Representative to Wayne State University Student Senate.
A little background about myself: I am what is known as a "lifelong Wayne Stater". I was born at a Wayne State University-affiliated hospital to a Wayne State employee and went home the next day to DeRoy apartments on the Main Campus of Wayne State. Can you guess where I went to undergrad? Wayne State. And it came as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I stayed here for medical school.
My major goal for the year was to reform the shuttle service to change the medical campus shuttle stop from One Ford Place to Henry Ford Hospital. This would make the hospital more accessible to pre-medical and medical students and avoid having to use the HFH connector shuttle. Unfortunately, the finances and logistics did not pan out and I had to abandon the project. Nevertheless, I still have a few key goals for the year:
1. Raising awareness of CAPS services available to medical students
2. Encouraging Wayne Med students to explore the new Student Center
3. Encouraging Wayne Med students to study at one of the six libraries on Main Campus.
4. Encouraging student organizations and administration to host more events on Main Campus
5. Working with the Admissions Department to increase the number of SOM tour opportunities available to Wayne pre-medical students.
One of the things that I would like to do is post up-to-date information on this blog regarding the university and changes that may impact medical and/or undergraduate students. If you would like to get in contact with me regarding a project or have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.